Things are slowly wrapping up at the farm. The tomatoes are starting to die, and our fall crops are coming in.
I wanted to take a moment to reflect and think about what we did well this year, as well as what we could have improved on. I also am creating a list of projects for next year. This post will be edited as new ideas surface.
- crop rotation: we put the beans in behind the peas as they finished up. This was a good use of space. We were pretty good at getting new crops in after the old ones finished up.
- seed starts. The seed start program this year was fantastic.
- volunteers. We recruited between 25-30 volunteers and fed them well.
- neighborhood kids: the kids in the neighborhood were very interested in the farm, and enjoyed helping
- preservation: we preserved the excess at the farm via canning, pickling, and drying. There was very little waste.
- better crop rotation. I'd like to preplan everything, instead of just putting things in willy nilly
- neighborhood involvement. Most of our volunteers were not from the East Side. I'm not sure how to get more people close to the farm involved.
- theft: It's a detriment to the enthusiasm of the volunteer workers to have things at the farm stolen.
- bugs: our greens were munched on some by bugs. They were still good, but had holes in them. We could try putting remay down.
- fall crop: we could do the fall crop better. I did spend quite a bit of time planting, but there were some germination problems. I'd like to find out why - the seeds were not old.
- compost: we did not turn our pile, and it became weedy. I'd also like to get neighborhood people to contribute scraps.
TO DO next year:
- build a fence
- build a shed
- consider a chicken coup
- expand into the lot next door, if the lot is demolished
- acquire more manure, mix into rows
- have a volunteer worker meeting, decide on vol. days and distribution methods
- paint a sign stating volunteer hours